OPEN OR CLOSED?
While it may feel like we are closed, the library is very much open!
We continue the offer the following services:
- LINKcat searching, holds, renewals
- Curbside pickup of holds
- Digital books, music, movies, audiobooks, and more
- Online children's programs
- Online bookclubs
- Walk-in technology services
- Wi-fi from our parking lot
- Book returns through drive-up or walk-up (in lobby)
- Reference services through email and phone
- Book recommendation services through email and phone
The following services are NOT being offered at this time:
- Browsing the shelves
- Any payment in cash or check
- Renk Reading Room, sitting areas, porches
- Discussion rooms
- Computer lab
- Large group room usage
- Children's play area
- Teen area
- Staring into the fish tank
- Walk-up service desks
Library staff continue to come to work every day to sort and process incoming holds and returns, process new material, order new material, create and run online programs, update website and social media, answer phonecalls and emails, clean and shelf-read the collection, update and troubleshoot technology, run curbside pickup 6 hours per day, offer technology help and access 4 hours per day. In addition to this, administrative staff continues to plan for the upcoming budget year, monitor buildings and grounds, order and update new technology, pay bills and utilities, and monitor staff expenditures.
Although it may feel like the library is not open, staff continue to work regular hours. Our building is not currently open to the extent it has been in the past, and most of our building-based services are not available at this time. This is what administration and the Library Board have judged to be safest for the staff and public as COVID-19 cases continue to spike in Dane County and families with school-aged children struggle with how to care for kids while school buildings are closed.
We hope for a safe resolution to this virus, but we don't expect the library to go back to normal services until 2021.
Thank you and be well,
The Staff of the Sun Prairie Public Library