You'll Like Being Our Friend!
In celebration of the Sun Prairie Public Library’s 20th anniversary in our current building, the Friends of the Library are sponsoring a writing contest on “Why I Love My Library.” We encourage kids, teens and adults to write a personal short story, essay or poem on this topic, which will be published in an anthology. A prize will be awarded in each of three age categories.
We are now accepting submissions! Printed/paper submissions may be dropped off at the Library's Information Desk or mailed to the Friends of the Library at the address listed below.
Click here to access the online entry form. (Link will open in new tab/window.)
DEADLINE EXTENDED! The deadline for submissions has been extended until Sunday, March 31.
- Submission period: Friday, February 8th - Sunday, March 31st, 2019
- Winners notified: Saturday, April 27th
- Recognition Celebration: Sunday, May 19th at 2:00pm, Library Renk Room
RULES & GUIDELINES:
- Writings may be in the form of a personal short story, essay or poem, with a maximum approximately 500 words.
- Submissions will be accepted online or in print, from February 8th – March 15th. No submissions will be accepted before or after the submission period.
- Online submissions must be in PDF format. (If you need assistance converting a document to PDF format, staff at the Library’s Information Desk will be happy to help you.) The online submission form will be available beginning February 8th at www.sunprairiepubliclibrary.org/friends-sun-prairie-public-library.
- Print submissions may be dropped off at the Library’s Information Desk, or mailed to:
Friends of the Library
1350 Linnerud Drive
Sun Prairie, WI, 53590.
Mailed submissions must be postmarked no later than 3/15/19. All print submissions must include a completed copy of the Submission Form. Paper copies of the Submission Form are available at the Library's Welcome and Information Desks.
- For children under age 18, parents must read, understand, and agree to the Rules & Guidelines, and must sign the Submission Form. Parents may not help their child write other than taking dictation.
- All submissions will be reviewed, and $100 cash prizes awarded on May 19th, within the following three age categories:
-Kindergarten – grade 5
-Grades 6 – 12
- Submissions will be published together in an anthology. Only minimal and necessary editing will be provided prior to publication. Entrants will have the option to not have their work included in the anthology.
- All entries must be original works and may not infringe on copyright laws. All participants agree to relinquish the copyright of their work to the Friends of the Sun Prairie Public Library for use in representing the organizaton in any manner it so chooses, including but not limited to advertising, marketing, web sites, and social media.
- No personal information gathered in the submission process will be distributed beyond the scope of the Writing Contest or used for any other purpose, except where entrant has indicated an interest in receiving information about the Friends of the Sun Prairie Public Library.
- Any questions about the writing contest may be directed to the Friends of the Sun Prairie Public Library, at email@example.com.
This project is funded by the Dick Wanless Memorial Fund.
Friends of the Sun Prairie Public Library Sculpture Project
The Friends of the Sun Prairie Public Library has installed "Sun Prairie," a stainless steel sculpture with fused glass rounds, on the southeast corner of the library grounds. On September 9, 2016, the sculpture was given to the library at a dedication ceremony featuring the Wisconsin Brass Quintet. The sculpture was designed by Dale Rogers of Haverhill, Massachusetts. Any questions can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.