"Is the library expanding?"
The short answer is: yes!
But we're in the very beginning stages of deciding how best to expand our physical space so we can offer a larger collection, more services, and more of the programs you have grown to love over the years.
Below is an anticipated timeline of activities:
"When and why is the expansion happening?"
The Library Board has made a recommendation to expand the current library from approximately 36,000 SF to 74,000 SF which could accomodate:
- a growing physical collection
- additional spaces for programs for all ages
- additional discussion rooms
- museum quality early learning discovery spaces
- state-of-the art teen space
- maker space/innovation lab with enhanced tools and technology to support creativity and entrepreneurship
- new physical and digital collections
- a larger Read Before Book Store
- opportunities to incorporate green features such as solar panels and geothermal heating and cooling.
City of Sun Prairie Alders have endorsed support for the idea of an expansion.
We will be updating this page as activities progress. If you are interested to learn how you may support the library's expansion, please contact Svetha Hetzler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Background: Following a process of architectural analysis, FEH Design of Delafield, WI recommended an expansion design option, which can be viewed here. This concept is only under consideration. The Library Board has not approved any design option.