The library is in the very beginning stages of deciding how best to expand our physical space so we can offer a larger collection, more services, and more of the programs you have grown to love over the years.
Background: Following a process of architectural analysis, FEH Design of Delafield, WI recommended an expansion design option, which can be viewed here. This concept is only under consideration. The Library Board has not approved any design option.
The Library Board has made a recommendation to expand the current library from approximately 36,000 SF to 55,000 SF which could accomodate:
- a growing physical collection
- additional discussion rooms
- museum quality early learning discovery spaces
- state-of-the art teen space
- maker space/innovation lab with enhanced tools and technology to support creativity and entrepreneurship
- opportunities to incorporate green features such as solar panels and geothermal heating and cooling.
Successful fundraising could result in additional expansions including additional program spaces and a larger Read Before Book Store!
City of Sun Prairie Alders have endorsed support for the idea of an expansion. On March 3, 2020, City Council approved a 5-year capital improvement plan which includes an expansion of the current library building.